Tuesday, February 28, 2006

People really don't care

Sunday was one of those terrible days that seems to come around every so often. The people came out early, and they stayed all day long. The lines never let up. At one point, I looked up and every register that worked was open and the lines had backed up to the clothes and started curving around. It was that bad.

Of course, during all of this, they abandoned me by myself at the service desk from 1:30 to about 5 p.m. I thought I was going to go insane with the crazy people wanting to exchange stuff and not wanting to stand in line.

How hard is it to understand. If you want to EXCHANGE something, I need two things. 1) The thing you are returning to the store and 2) the thing you are going to EXCHANGE for. You can't bring one thing up and EXCHANGE it for anything except money or store credit. I patiently explained this time and time and time again.

I guess I didn't explain it well enough, because this terrible old man with a fishing rod came up, I did the spiel and he came back 10 minutes later with a new fishing rod. "Sir, I told you that you were going to have to wait in line again."

A string of profanity that would make a sailor blush with shame ensued. I just looked away. I did two more customers while he stood there, then he realized I had no intention of letting him cut in, and neither did anyone else in line. Finally, I told him: "This is between you, and them," and I pointed to the next five people in line. "I've got NOTHING to do with it." And some guy let him cut in line. I'd have let the old geezer wait until all his teeth fell out.

But that wasn't the worst of human behavior. Some woman lost her purse, and came up. All the purses are turned in to the Accounting Office, which is behind our desk. I asked the woman in front of me to excuse me while I asked the office for this woman's purse. Usually, and I say usually, they say OK, because they understand. Not this time.

This woman goes, "I'm really in a hurry, could you just do my return real quick?" I just looked at her. The other woman just looked at her. And I decided not to chance it, because she looked violent.

The woman who lost her purse was looking daggers at this woman and I actually thought she was going to hit her. She actually didn't care that another human being had lost her purse, her wallet and all her ID. All she cared about was getting her refund. Human beings are truly terrible sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well my goodness! I was listening to this fabulous radio documentary about the evils of Walmart which led me to the net which led me to some site which led me to your blog.

I believe you have the makings of a truely fine novel here. And your appreciation of Aussie TV is something I never thought I'd read about from anyone in the US.

We also share the same politics which makes your entries so satisfying - if only one vote could ram a thousand choke filled pretzels down Bush's throat!

Anyway, keep up the Walmart antics - I'm addicted. And there you go, a Aussie chick has found your writings and believe me you are not alone in experiencing the world as less than picnic bar (do you guys have PIcnic bars? God they make a bad day slightly less bad!)

Cheers and all that,

Bins