Friday, March 16, 2007

On the radio

I totally kept this under wraps because I am one of the most paranoid people in existence. But I did an interview for National Public Radio's "Marketplace" on Wal-Mart's new scheduling system. The segment aired during the "Marketplace" program on most public radio stations yesterday.

I spoke with the reporter for about 45 minutes, but they only wound up using one quote. I hate the way I sound on radio anyway.

You can listen to the interview here and get an analysis of the Wal-Mart scheduling issue from Web site thewritingonthewal.net at their site.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! a voice to go with the blog! Sweeeet! You rock!

Larry Kollar said...

Cool!!!

ExVee said...

Being that I am thankfully not a cashier or other type of front-end worker, the only thing I really know about this computerized scheduling approach at my store is that most days of the week it's leaving us desperately short of cashiers. Sometimes three times a night they're calling the same group of register-trained salesfloor associates up to work registers. I would fear for the day when they try to apply this "technique" to the rest of us, but without adding a bunch more people into the mix (which they won't), they really can't.

Anonymous said...

Congrats, 'Michael'! Glad things are going so well for you from a publicity stand point. Ridiculous and shameful (on WM's part, not yours) that you have to be so worried about remaining anonymous.(Given what happened to Julie Roehm, totally understandable.)

Amanda said...

ughh. just tonight, i had a lady come up to me asking if i was a manager.. she then proceeded to ramble on about the long lines for about 10 minutes, telling me that she was tired of waiting in lines and that i needed open more registers and get the managers on registers.. i told her that she needed to call 1800walmart, because we're all stressed out over it.. and she then says "IT'S YOUR INTERNAL PROBLEM, YOU NEED TO FIX THIS." ..yeah, because i can fix it.. ..she called our store later, asking for the store manager's home phone number.. awesome. i hate the new scheduling system. anyway, i think it's great that you're getting your voice heard. yay you.

Shakes McFadden said...

what the....???!
i always thought you were a girl. my whole world is crumbling. like a walmart bbq.