Sunday, June 19, 2005

Allegedly, three days off

I was SUPPOSED to be away from RetailHell Thursay-Saturday. I didn't plan on doing anything. I just wanted to sleep all day, get up, go to my other job, sit at a computer for six hours, go home and sleep some more.

The best laid plans of mice and men ...

I had just gone downtown to get lunch Thursday afternoon when my phone rang. I ignored it, like I always do. I don't care who's calling. If it is important, they'll leave a message. I screen ALL my calls, even my parents.

Guess who it was. Yep. There was no one to give the 2-11 person their lunch. Could I please come in, just for a few hours? Eternally grateful, blah, blah, blah ...

I listened to the message, deleted it, got my sandwich and SBUX (still no Barrio Boy) and went home to think. And there were two message on my home machine. Only these were: "Could you come in and stay till 8 p.m. Thanks." The condescending tone nearly made me snap.

Now they know I have another job, that I really can't screw around at Wal-Mart until 8 p.m. and it IS MY FREAKING DAY OFF AND THERE ARE FIVE MANAGERS IN THE FRELLING PLACE WHO COULD GET OFF THEIR DUFF AND GIVE A HALF-HOUR LUNCH!

I call and speak with the girl who needs a lunch. She tells me not to come in. I'm like "Look, they screwed me on Tuesday, and they'll turn you over a barrel tonight. I'll come in for two hours, give you a lunch and help get the night crew in and the day crew out." I remind her that she owes me a solid at some point in the future.

I go in. I get insincere thanks from two management tools. I run the place capably for a couple hours and get her a good 45 minutes ahead of schedule. When she gets back from lunch, I cut and run.

Friday and Saturday, I spent avoiding the phone. If anyone called, I planned to be out of town. I slept and got myself back together. I know Sunday is going to be hellish, what with all the "I NEED A FATHER'S DAY GIFT EVEN THOUGH I DON'T CARE ENOUGHT TO SHOP EARLY FOR DAD" hype and the usual weekend madness.

If I didn't need the extra money so badly, I'd quit and reclaim my life, but I've gotten addicted to the cash and not having to scrounge for pennies at the end of every month. I just keep wondering if I'm selling my soul ...

No comments: