Saturday, May 14, 2005

"So your name is 'Sorry'"

HER: Where do you keep the cigarette lighter refills?
ME: We're out of those right now ma'am. Our vendor is coming in next week with some. We do have some refill fluid in a larger size.
HER: Well, where is it then?
ME: Right over here, ma'am. (And I lead her over.)
HER: Oh, I don't want one that big. Don't you have anything smaller?
ME: No ma'am. We don't. We'll get the refills in in a few days.
HER: Well, how much are these? (I ask a cashier for a price check)
HER: This says 87 cents.
ME: That's the sign for Sharpie pens, ma'am. The box has gotten pushed over into the wrong position. The refills are $1.49.
HER: You have to give it to me for that price.
ME: Ma'am, I'm sorry, but I can't do that. The box is just in the wrong position. The shelf label is for pens. The lighters are $1.49.
HER: (She looks at my name badge and says sarcastically) SO YOU'RE SORRY? I THOUGHT YOUR NAME WAS XXXXXX.
ME: (I don't say anything to this, because I know trouble when I see it. And yes, I did get it. I just stare at her. I don't think I've done anything so far that a member of management wouldn't back me on. Getting into a fight with her IS out of the question, however.
HER: She goes again, and points at my name badge. SO YOU'RE NAMED SORRY NOW? DON'T YOU GET IT?
ME: I just smile, and look at her. "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
HER: Obviously failing in a mission to have a confrontation, she finally walks off.

I go back and do some breathing to make sure I can actually function after this witch leaves. I also go over what happened in case she calls to report my "bad attitude," as evil customers do all the time.

So help me god, what prompted this woman to be such a C*** today? Maybe it was the Friday the 13th effect? She didn't want a big refill in the first place, then only wanted it when she thought she could have it for 87 cents. The real price was $1.49, which was what? 62 cents more? And then to just insult me? I just don't understand it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've worked two different times at two different Wal-marts. I understand totally what you mean. I really think they do it because they feel that they are better than those of us who work in a store. It's just an issue of their self-esteem.