Sunday, March 19, 2006

Can I pay my Sam's bill?

People walk up the the counter and interrupt us all the time. If they have a bag of stuff in their hands, I usually ignore them until I'm done with whatever customer I'm working with. You DO NOT cut in line with me, at least as long as I have some control over the situation.

Saturday was hella-busy. Everybody, their baby-mama, their baby-daddy, their auntie and their grandpappy was in the Wal-Mart. I don't know why. It was a beautiful day outside. Anyway. There were three of us at Customer Service, going full blast - and there were still at least eight people in line.

This elderly woman walks up as a woman is telling me she'd like to return a pair of pants that her daughter didn't like. As I'm asking for her receipt, the old woman asks "Can I pay my Sam's bill here?"

Me: "Yes ma'am, you can." And with that, I ask the woman with the pants if she has her receipt and if she'd like to exchange for another pair of pants.

The old woman pulls a bill in the sealed envelope out of her purse and thrusts it into my face and trys to elbow the other woman aside. "I need you to wait in line ma'am. I can't allow you to cut in front of all these other customers." She gives me a dirty look, and then blurts out "IF I HAVE TO WAIT IN LINE I'M NOT GOING TO PAY."

I wanted to say "Well, I don't really care. I'm not the one who couldn't mail the bill back on time." But I don't. I just go "I'm sorry ma'am, but you do have to wait your turn." And the woman with the pants sort of bumps her buggy with her hip and gives her one of those "Either quit interrupting me or I will cut you myself B****!" looks. So she goes to the end of the line.

About 30 seconds later, she hollers, "Can I just leave the bill and the check here?" To which I reply: "No ma'am." Now this was REALLY stupid of her. She was in such a hurry she was going to give me her credit card bill WITH HERE CREDIT CARD NUMBER and A FREAKING CHECK. Didn't she care that I could have written down the number and charged ANYTHING with her card.

And do you know how much she paid once all this fuss was over? $5.68.

All this fuss to pay five dollars and sixty-eight cents. She should be shot and fed to pigs.

No comments: