Thursday, November 03, 2005

The aftermath of Hurricane Wilma

I finally got power back at my apartment on Monday night, around 6 p.m. from the blinking clocks, near as I could figure. It was home when I came home from Wal-Mart, and I was so happy I nearly cried. Total time of power outage, a full week, plus sixteen hours. It was hell.

I've learned so much more than I thought I knew about hurricanes and hurricane preparation this past ten days. I will always prepare better from now on, and that includes a full week of supplies, including water, flashlights and batteries, and possibly a portable television. I nearly went insane without a TV to watch. The only media I had available were books and my cell phone. There's only so much entertainment value in "Domino" magazine or in a game of "Bejeweled"!

I also learned to do a major load of laundry BEFORE the hurricane hits, so you're not stuck with dirty clothes for another eight days.

People are trying to bring back their used hurricane supplies. Someone tried to return the used propane cannisters. Umm, if they're full, they're heavy. If they're empty, they're light, you dipshit.

And I've just been so melancholy lately. I don't know if it is because I'm just glad to be alive and have some odd letdown afterward, or just the general malaise that gripped me pre-Wilma.

Anyway. Is anyone watching "Viva Blackpool" on BBC America? Isn't it fantastic. I missed the first episode because of Wilma, but the second hooked me from the moment "The Gambler" started playing. And I loved the "Should I Go" number too.

Peace out >>>

No comments: