Thursday, July 07, 2005

Theft and stupidity

Sunday night was just hellish. I should have known it would be bad when I had an argument with a woman over a $29 lamp at 2:30 p.m., when I'd only been there a half-hour.

People are dishonest. I learned this months ago, but the levels to which people stoop is beyond me. And they always go to the self-checkouts thinking there isn't a cashier there to catch the lies.

A customer took a merchandise routing sticker off a pallet of detergent soap and stuck it on a lamp and then tried to get the lamp for $1.94. Umm, no. These are the stickers that are only on the outsides of boxes of that merchandse comes in. These stickers are NEVER on the merchandise itself. So it was obvious what sort of scam she was trying to pull.

If the lamp was in the wrong spot, we might let you have it for $20 instead of $29. Not for $1.94. Not when you're just dishonest. When I told her that it was just impossible, she looked straight at me and said "It's not my fault" and shrugged her shoulders. And demanded a manager. The manager told her the same thing.

He offered to sell it to her for $25. She didn't want it. She wanted it for $1.94. She claimed she didn't put the sticker on there. You'll never convince me that she wasn't lying. She finally bought the lamp -- and returned it two hours later. She probably thought she could get the full price on it. Stupid woman.

The rest of Sunday, Tuesday (six hours by myself) and Wednesday (six more hours by myself) went the same way. Here's hoping the rest of the week gets better. I go back to the Service Desk on July 16th. I hope I can make it that long.

No comments: