Wednesday, July 27, 2005

A comedy of errors

Sorry for not posting too much. Wal-Mart has been a soul-destroying disaster lately. There are only six courtesy desk workers now, and we're trying to cover a complete seven-day schedule - and the desk has to be open from 7 a.m. - 11 p.m. Yeah, fun.

Saturday, it was just two of us.
Sunday, it was just three.
Monday, when it was slow, there was four because some manager did the schedule.
Tuesday, they called me in at seven. I was supposed to leave at 12. I left at 4 p.m.

At the end of Sunday's shift, I could barely stand. I had done 131 customers in eight hours and dealt with some of the most disagreeable people imaginable.

Today, Tuesday, there were just two of us. When the other girl went to lunch, I was all by myself (yet again) for an hour. In that hour, I did 20 customers. One every 3 minutes. That's not including the ones you have to argue with, make change for or do other stuff with, like find a phone book, or answer questions.

One old man brought in a "VCR." He said it didn't work. Except he had an Aiwa DVD player in a Sanyo box. "Sir, this is a DVD player. You can't return this."

So he claims he "just got the wrong thing." I sent him on his way.

And some kid tried to swap new computer chips for old. Umm, no. Each chip has a serial number, and those didn't match. LEAVE FOOL! "I must have left them in the computer and put the old ones in the box." Yeah, you must have thought I check my brain at the door too, kid!

1 comment:

Perdita said...

"I had done 131 customers in eight hours..."

I know, I know. But inside I'm a 15 year old boy.

Apparently I DID leave my brain at the door