Wednesday, April 27, 2005

My life in hell

Sunday: I had to return to retail village. Or Satan's palace, if you prefer. They always stick me with the incompetent girl on Sunday nights, the absolutely worst night of the week, with the most customers, so we get hours behind. I'm stuck on register 1 with a line at least 10 people long, with the phone in my ear trying to solve problems via phone while ringing out customers and managers are making things worse.

The managers took over from us because allegedly "we don't know what we're doing." So we go on registers. Well, hire more people, and we wouldn't have lines. Anyway, instead of sending people to lunch, they use the people coming back from break to open more registers. So after six hours, SIX cashiers all get locked out with a big line and piles of groceries on the register. HA! I just kept my mouth shut, ran the register, counted my money, dropped my bag and left.

Monday: If possible, it was worse. There were only two of us all night, so when the other person left for lunch, I'm all alone and all hell breaks loose. Back and forth and back and forth. I had to go to layaway at least five times. I do not understand why people wait until 9 p.m. to go to Wal-Mart to cancel layaways or do their layaway business. I simply do not understand it.

And the shoes. There are a couple of customers, repeat offenders now, who buy shoes, wear them for two months, then return them claiming that they're "defective." Now, the shoes are tore up at this point, but they've got the receipt, so we've GOT to take them back. People disgust me.

Tuesday, today, was the worst. After I left at 10:30 p.m. last night, I had to be back at 6:45 in the morning. I hate that scheduling, but anyway. I had it out with a lady over a patio set. She demanded to buy a defective one. I asked a manager. Well, no, because it was defective. She slapped her hand down on the counter and screamed that she wanted to speak to a manager. So I get a manager. She yells at him. He tries to calm her down, but she's off and running about wanting this patio furniture. She finally leaves her name and number, and then asks -- "Are you really going to call me?" **sigh**

And then dealing with fellow associates today. I had one tell me that she wasn't going to work at the Service Desk because she wasn't getting paid extra to work up there. Well, if you won't go when I need you, you'll never go again if I've got anything to do with it!

And another one just took herself off the register and left for lunch. I had told her to wait 15 minutes until I could get someone over there. She decided that wasn't good enough and left. So she got a coaching. Oh but no. She started crying to the manager. He called me. I explained what had happened. And he backed me up on that. So she tried the runaround and that didn't work. You see, children are what I have to deal with every single day.

And did you know that Wal-Mart sells marijuana home-testing kits? Who knew?

No comments: