Monday, September 20, 2004

It really IS wage slavery

I swear on my life that I will never make fun of minimum wage types again. Thank you (pick a deity) that I was born into this world with the intelligence to lift myself up into the meritocracy, get a job that allows me to sit on my ass all day in front of a computer and complain that I can't afford 27 more DVDs than I already own.

I spent four hours this morning putting pieces of paper that say (ASK FOR ASSISTANCE FOR ITEMS ON TOP SHELF) in little plastic holders then using plastic screws to attach said plastic holders to the top shelf. I assembled the holders; four other people attached the things to the shelves. At first it was a free-for-all, but I quickly appointed myself "management" and took over the assembling. That climbing up and down a ladder crap wasn't for me. I wonder how long this is going to last.

I truly fail to understand how people manage to live if they have to do this for eight hours a day and then go home to a family. And frankly, the Wal-Mart benefits aren't all that good from what I can see. The medical plan doesn't kick in for 3 months and the 401(k) for a year. The only good thing seems to be the stock purchase. You don't even get a free Sam's Club card.

Still. I could be doing actual physical labor. So I suppose it could be worse. But my feet still hurt like hell. At least I'm hopefully getting some good stories to tell during my Foreign Service interview.

No comments: